Saturday, September 1, 2012

Longevity Depends on Marital Status?

I saw another blog today that had data revealing that never marrieds had a 60% higher incidence of earlier death, widows and widowers had a 30% chance and divorced partners had a 40% chance of shorter life than married couples.

Have you seen any of those studies?  Do you believe them?

I would believe that these averages may be true generally, but that there is more to it than just your marital status. Things like diet, use of medications, fitness, outlook on life, times spent with family and friends, hobbies, regular exercise, community service and so many other social interactions, health, genes, and so on may have the greatest impact.

Is it really just marital status?  I don't think so!

I could believe that if only marital status is studied and no other factors are studied, never marrieds may have more exposure to being alone more often which can be less fulfilling and maybe be worse off?, widows and widowers may spend time together more and counter the loneliness and maybe least affected?, and divorced partners, without a partner, and having some negative baggage left still to carry around may be a bit more susceptible?

In any case, I find marital status not a thing to worry about. Too many things can be used to increase one's longevity.

I'm doing several of the good things that can help increase length of living.

And I'm focusing on each and every day to live its fullness. When I do go, I want to be tired, not bored.

Brian Daniel

No comments: